Monday, September 3, 2012

'Twas the night before kindergarten...

'Twas the night before Kindergarten and in our household
Nerves have given way to excitement untold
The backpack is hung on his coat hook with care
His uniform's folded, he's got freshly cut hair.

Both boys are nestled all snug in their beds,
While mamma has thoughts dancing round in her head
Memories of first teeth, first words and first steps
I blinked and five precious years have now passed

Inside my soul I fight so much clatter
Have I done my best? Have I done what matters?
My mind is unsure and my emotions are brittle
I'm not ready to let go - to see him so little

But deep in my heart I know it's how it should be
Cause he's strong and he's smart and he says he's ready
God gave him to me for only a while
He needs him in the world, spreading that smile.

It's the night before kindergarten and with tears in my eyes
I give him to God, to teach him to fly
He isn't really mine - that's why I named him Samuel
So Lord take my boy and protect His sweet soul

Guard his heart from all that destroys
And make him a light, serving all girls and boys
Tomorrow please grant me grace for the day
And send him home happy and encouraged, I pray.


3 comments:

Jody and Mark said...

Your creativity is only out done by your heart of love. So glad to know you.

Karina said...

thank you for this. Beautiful. My oldest isn't going to kindergarten this year. But, I will save this blog entry and remember it then.
It brought tears to my eyes, just thinking how I will feel on that day.

Anonymous said...

Nikki, this says it all so beautifully! I remember the day each of the kids "left the nest" and it really never was the same again. It's so much fun to watch our children grow, but really tugs a Mother's heart when she has to let go. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in such a poignant poem. Audrey H.