Sunday, July 8, 2012

Traveling Solo

Today I drove the empty corn-lined highways of Southwest Minnesota alone. I only travel those roads alone when things are heavy. Usually I drive these roads with husband and kids and beagle and energy unbounded. The last time I packed up quick and traveled alone was 6 years ago when my daddy called and said cancer - I drove fast and I sat sacred with my mamma while my dad was in surgery and recovery. In the end, my father beat the cancer with the help of my Father but I'm pretty sure that my Grand Father has a different kind of healing in mind for my grandfather. Today I drove again to sit with my mamma while she waits for Jesus to come pick up her daddy. God came unexpectedly to pick up my dad's parents so this waiting for God is a new thing for my family. It is new but it is beautiful. Papa hasn't left this life yet but he's already seeing glimpses of the next and I think sitting with him while he waits for his pick-up is a high privilege. He saw Jesus in His room today. He called him "Holy, Holy, Holy the Lord God Almighty" and apparently Jesus was camping out right above the TV in the corner of the room or at least that's where Papa saw Him. Now, that's all kinds of special and as I sit here alone in the silence the old song fills my mind:

We are standing on holy ground
And I know that there are angels all around 
Let us praise Jesus now
We are standing in His presence on Holy ground

Mom and Grandma went home to get their rest and I am going to keep vigil tonight. I am 31 year old mother of two littles... I don't need sleep! They will rest up for the journey and adjustments that await them in the weeks to come. I will savor the last moments on earth with my brave papa. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am crying.

So Voskamp-esque.

I love you.

Rachel said...

What a beautiful privilege. For you to witness the beauty of these moments firsthand, and for us to get to read your reverent words.

Erica said...

Wow. Your writing is so moving. I end up in tears almost every time. I agree with Rachel--what a beautiful privilege. Thank you for sharing...

Jody said...

With tears in my eyes, I just want to say I am so proud to call you my friend. Your attitude is PERFECT. May God protect all of you and help you walk this journey together - giving you just what you need in each step.

Stacy Porter said...

Thank you for writing. I'm sorry we are not there to take a shift on the vigil. Grandpa Esau is such a good man. Sean was reflecting on his life yesterday. I feel honored to have him in our children's family line. I loved your reference of Jesus "picking him up." What a great picture.